A sport touring motorcycle (sometime a “sports-tourer”) is a type of motorcycle that combines the performance of a supersport bike with the long-distance capabilities and comfort of a touring motorcycle.
Unlike a supersport model, a sport touring model will typically have more wind protection with larger fairings and an adjustable windscreen, a transmission with lower gearing, a shaft drive instead of chain drive, side and/or rear pannier storage systems, a larger alternator for more accessories, heated handlebar grips, remotely adjustable headlights, a larger fuel tank for increased range, and a more upright seating position. Unlike a full touring model, a sports-tourer will typically have more ride height ground clearance for better cornering, less storage, lower weight, a less relaxed seating position, less room for the pillion, and higher overall performance.
- All-purpose functionality with extra storage space
- Average to taller seat height
- Upright neutral riding position with mid-range handlebars
- Equipped with medium to large windscreen
- Engine sizes can range from 750cc to 1400cc
- Ideal for intermediate/advanced riders